A man has been charged with assault and illegally operating as a bouncer following an incident at a central Auckland nightclub last month.
The 45-year-old Mangere man will appear in the Auckland District Court on September 8 on charges relating to an incident outside the Le Box Nightclub in Karangahape Rd, on August 21.
The man has been charged with assault with intent to injure.
He has also been charged under Section 44 of the Private Security Personnel and Private Investigators Act 2010 for allegedly operating as a crowd controller employee and without a current certificate of approval.
Police announced the charges this afternoon but could not comment further as the matter was before the courts.
The alleged assault was caught on camera.
The video was posted online and showed a man who appeared to be working as a bouncer punching another man in the face causing him to fall to the ground.
Posted by a Facebook user, the attack was described as "savage" and "out of line".
Police investigated the incident after the video was posted.
New Zealand Security Association chief executive Gary Morrison said his group was very pleased the man had been charged.
"Whilst the footage of the incident was limited, it was very apparent that his actions went against all training provided to security staff and appeared unjustified and excessive," he said.
"We also are fully supportive of all efforts to address unlicensed companies and security personnel who operate outside of the licensing requirements for vetting and mandatory training, including basic knowledge of law and managing conflict."