Two people were burned in a house fire in central Whanganui yesterday afternoon.
Emergency services were called to a flat near the corner of Ingestre and Harrison streets at about 3.27pm, where a crowd of people had gathered.
Several neighbours called emergency services and the fire was "well involved" when four fire engines arrived.
Two people were in the flat but managed to get out of the building when firefighters arrived.
Whanganui station officer Aaron Summerhays said both had minor burns and smoke inhalation.
The fire also spread to another flat, Summerhays said, and it took firefighters about 15 minutes to bring it under control.
A spokesman said it was too early to say what started the fire.
A police cordon was put around the intersection.
For more articles from this region, go to Wanganui Chronicle