Family jump out window to flee house fire

The family's home caught alight just before 4am. Photo / File
The family's home caught alight just before 4am. Photo / File

A Wellington family jumped out of a bedroom window to escape a house fire after their smoke alarm woke them up this morning.

The family's Coast Rd home caught alight just before 4am.

The fire started in the lounge, and the house has been extensively damaged.

Wainuiomata senior station officer, Peter Thompson, said the parents grabbed their child before jumping out of a bedroom window.

Neighbours took in the family and they are being looked after by Victim Support.

Thompson said it reinforced that working smoke alarms do save lives, and highlights the importance of having an escape plan.

The fire was sparked by an "electrical event", Thompson said.

- Newstalk ZB

Get the news delivered straight to your inbox

Receive the day’s news, sport and entertainment in our daily email newsletter

SIGN UP NOW

© Copyright 2017, NZME. Publishing Limited

Assembled by: (static) on production apcf04 at 21 Feb 2017 16:56:42 Processing Time: 1210ms