A woman and a man are badly burnt after a gas cylinder exploded in their Hawkes Bay home, blowing out three windows.

Otane volunteer fire brigade chief fire officer John Oliver said emergency services were originally called to a house fire, which turned out to be an LPG bottle explosion inside the house, on Brogden St, in the small town, north of Waipukurau.

Emergency services were called to the scene about 8.55pm.

A St John communications spokeswoman would not comment on the accident.

Advertisement

A police spokesman said three people were in the house at the time of the explosion.

He said they may have been "huffing" gas.