Expect clogged roads and slow-moving traffic today as the procession of long weekend holiday-goers make their way back home.
The New Zealand Transport Agency is warning motorists of congestion hot spots across the country.
NZTA Auckland and Northland highway manager Brett Gliddon said the rush of drivers heading back at the end of Anzac weekend will be particularly busy as it is the last long weekend before the winter weather sets in.
"Because it also coincides with the school holidays we're expecting traffic volumes will be heavy on the traditional holiday weekend routes including State Highway 1 heading into and out of Auckland as well as State Highways 1 and 2 near Coromandel and in Northern Waikato."
He recommends drivers use alternative routes and travel outside peak times.
"State Highway 16 between Wellsford and Auckland is usually far less busy than State Highway 1 through Warkworth. During the peak traffic period on Good Friday this year SH16 was consistently 40 minutes faster than travelling on SH1, which makes it an efficient and pleasant alternative."
Heading to Auckland from Northland will be heaviest throughout the middle of the day today on State Highway 1.
State Highway 2 at Maramarua northbound is another spot to avoid at midday if possible.
Some roads and state highways will also be affected by dawn services and parades on Monday and motorists are encouraged to allow plenty of time to get to services.
Apart from chilly conditions at the early-morning dawn services, most drivers can look forward to mostly fine weather for the trip home.
Northland to Waikato is forecast to be fine, apart from isolated showers on the west coast.
Brief showers and increasing cloud are on the cards for the rest of the North Island and upper South Island, with showers and westerly gales hitting the Dunedin and Southland.
• SH1 Kawakawa heading south (south of Paihia/Bay of Islands) 10am-12pm
• SH1 Whangarei heading south 11am-3pm
• SH1 between Puhoi and Wellsford heading south 11.30am-3pm
• SH1 Takanini heading north 2pm-4.30pm
• SH2 Maramarua heading west (east of SH1/SH2 interchange) 11.30am-4.30pm
• SH1 Taupiri heading north (north of Hamilton) -- 11.30am-5.30pm
• SH 2 between Paeroa and Tauranga heading west 10am-2.30pm
• SH1 between Taihape and Waiouru heading south 11.30am-3.30pm
• SH5 Te Pohue (north of Napier) heading east 1pm-3.30pm, heading west 10.30am-12pm
• SH1 Waikanae (Kapiti Coast) heading north 10.30am-12pm, heading south 10.30am-5pm
• SH2 Rimutaka Hill between Wellington and Featherston heading south 11am-5pm