Teen charged with homeless man's murder

Edwin Linder was found with severe head injuries in Mills Lane in central Auckland last month.
Edwin Linder was found with severe head injuries in Mills Lane in central Auckland last month.

The 17-year-old arrested over the death of a homeless man in Auckland will have his name kept secret at least a little while longer despite strong opposition from police and the victim's family.

The teen was initially charged with wounding with intent to cause grievous bodily harm after the vicious attack on Edwin Linder, 42, who died on August 3, three days after the early morning assault in Mills Lane in the CBD.

Police laid a charge of murder when the teenager appeared via audio-visual link in Auckland District Court this afternoon.

Mr Linder's family, including his mother and brother, were in court during the hearing and were visibly upset.

They held their hands to their faces as they left the court room.

The court was told that the family had badly wanted the accused to lose name suppression, as did the police.

However, the teenager's lawyer Peter Winter said that because the case was being transferred to the High Court it was not in Judge Richard Watson's jurisdiction to lift suppression.

Judge Watson said the only appropriate course was for him to extend the suppression order until the accused appeared in the High Court at Auckland next month.

Further suppression orders prevent publishing other details of the case against the teenager, who was remanded in custody.

Mr Linder's family did not wish to comment outside court.

- APNZ

© Copyright 2014, APN New Zealand Limited

Assembled by: (static) on red akl_a5 at 03 Oct 2014 06:05:56 Processing Time: 1749ms