Shed fire caused by spontaneous combustion

By Sonya Bateson of the Bay of Plenty Times -
File photo / NZ Herald
File photo / NZ Herald

A fire in a Bay of Plenty shed in the early hours of this morning was caused by spontaneous combustion of chemicals.

Pukehina Fire Brigade were called to a Pukehina Pde address about 1.10am to put out a fire in a workshop at the back of a property.

Senior firefighter Ivan Burgener said the shed had been filled with chemicals and adhesives as the man in the house made and repaired surfboards.

Mr Burgener said there had been a chemical reaction on the rags the man used or something similar, causing spontaneous combustion.

The fire took about 45 minutes to put out and no one was hurt.

For more articles from this region, go to

Get the news delivered straight to your inbox

Receive the day’s news, sport and entertainment in our daily email newsletter


© Copyright 2017, NZME. Publishing Limited

Assembled by: (static) on production bpcf04 at 01 May 2017 12:52:52 Processing Time: 505ms