A drunk Whangarei man held his teenage daughter in his room and attacked her with a machete after she refused to let him have more wine.
The 63-year-old man, who cannot be named to protect the identity of the 18-year-old victim who has name suppression, was found guilty of assault with a weapon after a defended hearing in the Whangarei District Court.
Giving evidence in court last week, the daughter said she had to call police after the machete attack at her rural property around midnight on November 16 last year.
Her father claimed she locked him in his bedroom to stop him from closing down a party she was having with friends.
The man said he used the machete only to wedge open the door while she forcibly held on to the handle on the other side of the door.
The daughter said he had drunk "long island tea" (an alcoholic mix) over lunch and had followed that with about half a litre of vodka before her four friends came in for drinks that evening.
Her father was initially busy with paperwork, but he later walked into the lounge where the teenagers were having drinks and put his arm around one of her friends who felt uncomfortable with his behaviour towards her.
The daughter told him to go to bed as he was embarrassing her friends.
They had both ended up in his room, where he asked for his wine while swearing and yelling at her.
The young woman said she had told him he had had enough to drink and should go to bed.
The court heard that her father put his arm on the door so she couldn't leave and reached for a machete in a drawer.
He swung the blunt side of the weapon, but she blocked it with an arm which was bruised by the blow.
She said she then pushed him on to the bed before ducking out and held on to the door handle from outside so he couldn't leave the room and follow her.
A friend of hers later held on to the door handle while she rang police.
Her friends gave evidence in court.
The father said spinal injuries and a stroke meant he could not fight back when his daughter pushed him down the hallway and on to his bed.
He said he was annoyed that she had the audacity to lock him in his room.
In response to his claim that he was not a violent person, police prosecutor Sergeant Stu Wilkes pointed to his convictions for firearm offences in the 1970s.
The man was remanded in custody for sentencing on July 3.
for more articles from this region, go to NORTHERN ADVOCATE