Garden centre fire now out

Photo / File
Photo / File

Firefighters have managed to subdue the massive fire that englufed a Masterton garden centre earlier this afternoon.

Emergency services were called to the Garden Barn on High Street around midday after flames and thick black smoke began pouring out of a storage shed.

Jim Harris, owner of the Acorn Estate Motel, which is right beside the garden centre, says he was working outside when all of sudden he saw a lot of black smoke.

"It's in a shed, not sure what was stored in the shed - fertiliser of some sort - but I think there must be some chemicals or something in there because there were a few minor explosions."

Around 20 firefighters and four fire engines attended the scene.

- Newstalk ZB

© Copyright 2015, APN New Zealand Limited

Assembled by: (static) on production bpcf03 at 28 Mar 2015 13:54:00 Processing Time: 516ms