Exploding cellphone leaves owner feeling ill

By Alanah Eriksen, Alanah May Eriksen

An Auckland man was left feeling ill yesterday after his cellphone exploded, letting off fumes.

The incident is believed to be New Zealand's first case of a cellphone battery explosion.

Norman Sievewright of Albany awoke to a "loud bang" about 1.30am yesterday.

"I thought something had fallen off a table but there was a foul stink. I woke up and realised the room was very smoky and there was a very strong smell of electrical burning."

He discovered his Nokia cellphone, which had been charging on his bedside table, had exploded.

"It had fallen onto the floor in three pieces. There were burn patches on the carpet so it looked like the phone had jumped from one spot to another."

Mr Sievewright picked up the battery, which had expanded to about three times its usual size, and tossed it out the window.

Cellphone owners are being urged to check their batteries.

Get the news delivered straight to your inbox

Receive the day’s news, sport and entertainment in our daily email newsletter


© Copyright 2017, NZME. Publishing Limited

Assembled by: (static) on production apcf05 at 24 Mar 2017 15:54:08 Processing Time: 545ms