• 2 Tbsp oil
• 1kg beef steak, cut in 2cm cubes
• 2 rashers smoky bacon, diced
• 1 onion, chopped
• 4 cloves garlic, crushed
• 2 sticks celery, sliced
• 2 carrots, peeled and sliced
• 50g porcini mushrooms, soaked in 1 cup water
• 2 stalks rosemary
• 1 cup red wine
• 1 400g tin chopped tomatoes
• Salt and pepper, to taste
• 12 baby onions, peeled
• ¼ cup each of basil, parsley
1. Preheat oven to 150C. Heat oil in a large pot or one that can be transferred to oven. Brown the beef in batches until sides are sealed. Remove and set aside.
2. Add bacon, onion, garlic, celery, onion and carrots, and cook for 5 minutes until softened.
3. Add beef, mushrooms and water, rosemary, wine, tomatoes and salt and pepper.
4. Cover and place in oven for 1 hour. Add baby onions and continue to cook for 40 minutes, or until beef is tender.
5. Just before serving, stir in chopped basil and parsley. Serve with creamy polenta.
• 1 cup polenta
• 3 cups water
• ½ cup cream
• ½ cup grated parmesan
• 30g butter
• Salt and pepper
1. Bring water to a rapid boil, create a whirlpool and pour polenta in a steady stream. This will eliminate lumps.
2. Reduce heat and stir continuously for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and add cream, parmesan and butter. Season with pepper and salt.