Animals look perfect in children's rooms. The bold shape and size of these rabbits make them a substantial gift that will last. Try painting these cuties in pretty pastels, or fluorescent shades for a modern edge. Present your personalised animal with a pretty lollie jar. Kids will love putting these together for friends and family.
1. I chose preserving jars from Countdown, or recycle any jars with lids you have at home.
2. Fill with your recipient's favourite sweets. I combined the Christmas colours of spearmints, white marshmallows and raspberry jellies - yum!
3. Cover the lids with Christmas fabric or paper. I traced around a bread and butter plate for a perfect size and then cut out.
4. Tie with ribbon or twine and finish with fabric motifs and stickers, or attach a candy cane to the bow.
Papier mache rabbits
1. I chose pre-made papier mache rabbits from a range of animal shapes at Spotlight, but if you're super-creative you could make your own.
2. Paint each animal with two coats from one test pot from the Karen Walker paint range by Resene. I used Beryl Green for one and Periglacial Blue on the other.
3. Paint papier mache tags to match. Glue on fabric motifs and letters.
4. Attach the tags to the animals with Christmas ribbon. Kate's rabbits and lolly jarsBy Living's Inside Edge columnist Kate Cox