1 Tbs peanut oil
1 onion, finely diced
1 x 5 cm piece of ginger, peeled and grated
3 cloves garlic, sliced
1 kg brisket
2 Tbs soy sauce
2 Tbs sweet chilli
Zest and juice of 1 lemon
Zest and juice of two oranges
1 Tbs palm sugar, grated
Salt to taste
Steamed noodles or rice
1. Turn the slow cooker on to low. Add the peanut oil.
2. Add the diced onion, ginger and garlic. Stir for a few minutes then slice the brisket, removing any excess fat from the meat.
3. Add the brisket to the slowcooker with the soy, chilli, lemon and orange, sugar and olives.
4. Add the salt. Cook for at least 6 hours then check seasoning. Add more salt and lemon if necessary and serve with coriander and noodles or rice.
* This is a good dish to make a day or two in advance. Let it cool in the fridge after cooking - the fat will set and can then be easily removed with a large spoon, then the dish can be gently reheated.By Amanda Laird Email Amanda