150g tasty cheddar cheese, grated
20g Parmesan cheese, grated
1 small egg
30g red onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
25g red capsicum, finely chopped
25g green capsicum, finely chopped
2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
40g sun-dried tomato, finely chopped
40g olives, chopped
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
Salt and pepper to taste
* Mix all ingredients together in a bowl to form a rough spreadable paste. Cover and set aside.
380g plain flour
20g caster sugar
Good pinch of salt
25g baking powder
70g butter, softened
1 egg for egg wash
2tbsp water for egg wash
Additional flour for dusting
1. Sift the flour, sugar, salt and baking powder into a large mixing bowl. Add butter and rub into the flour with your fingers to form coarse crumbs. Whisk egg and milk together and pour into dry ingredients. Use a wooden spoon to mix together to form a soft dough.
2. Tip dough on to floured bench and knead for 10-20 seconds - don't over-knead or dough will become too elastic. Cut dough into two equal pieces or leave whole for a large loaf. Shape pieces into squares. Using a rolling pin, roll out each dough piece on a floured bench to a 25cm square.
3. Whisk egg and water together to make an egg wash.
4. Spread half the filling evenly on top of each dough sheet or all the filling over the single sheet of dough if making a large loaf, leaving about 1cm free along one edge. Brush egg wash along that edge. Working towards the edge painted with egg wash, firmly roll up each dough sheet to achieve a Swiss roll or log shape. Using a large chef's knife or dough scraper, make a single lengthways cut along the middle of each log, all the way through.
5. To make the log, take one strand in each hand with the cut side of each strand facing towards you and twist the strands around each other. Press the ends firmly together to make sure they do not unwind during the baking process. Place the twist on to a baking tray lined with non-stick baking paper, keeping them well apart so they don't join during baking. Brush the twist with remaining egg wash and allow to rest for 10 minutes.
6. Bake smaller loaves for 30-35 minutes in a preheated oven set at 190C-200C. Turn the tray halfway through baking time to ensure an even colour. Remove from the oven and transfer to a cooling rack.