Six bars have licences suspended

By Jonathan Dine

Add a comment
Hugo Chang in Havelock North was one of six Bay bars slapped with a liquor licence suspension after a sting operation last December. Photo / Paul Taylor
Hugo Chang in Havelock North was one of six Bay bars slapped with a liquor licence suspension after a sting operation last December. Photo / Paul Taylor

Six bars in Hawke's Bay have had their licences suspended for serving alcohol to minors.

Hugo Chang in Havelock North will not be allowed to sell alcohol for five days next month, after being caught a second time selling to an underage person in a controlled purchase operation.

Bar 2013 in Hastings, The Horse and Harvest Tavern in Taradale, Diva Bar in Havelock North, and the Brazenhead and the Gin Trap in Napier also face suspensions. Each bar was caught out during sting operations late last year. Managers at each of the six bars had their certificates suspended as well.

Gintrap manager Piyush Katewa will lose his certificate for six weeks but will still be able to work.

"I will not be allowed to act as duty manager but I am still allowed on the premises to work," Mr Katewa said.

The bar had a strict protocol in place to avoid serving minors, he said.

"The worker who served the minor was asked if he took ID and he told us he had."

Mr Katewa said the worker was no longer employed at the Gintrap, which will be closed for 24 hours on March 19.

Bar 2013 had its licence suspended for 24 hours on February 19 and the manager lost the certificate for 28 days.

Hugo Chang's licence will be suspended for five days from April 4, following its second offence.

Diva will also lose its licence for 24 hours from March 18.

The Brazenhead bar in Napier will have its licence suspended for 24 hours from 8am on Saturday, March 19, and manager Adam Fackler will have his manager's certificate suspended for 28 days from March 21.

A Hastings District Council spokeswoman said the controlled purchasing operation — by council, police and the Hawke's Bay District Health Board — was conducted on December 4 last year.

"The operations are designed to ensure bars are asking potentially underage persons for their ID."

"Council continues to be involved in these operations," the spokeswoman said.

"They are designed to ensure all facilities are adhering to the rules."

- Hawkes Bay Today

Get the news delivered straight to your inbox

Receive the day’s news, sport and entertainment in our daily email newsletter

SIGN UP NOW

Have your say

1200 characters left

By and large our readers' comments are respectful and courteous. We're sure you'll fit in well.
View commenting guidelines.

© Copyright 2016, NZME. Publishing Limited

Assembled by: (static) on production bpcf03 at 04 Dec 2016 10:02:46 Processing Time: 256ms