David Fisher is a senior reporter for the NZ Herald.

Affco fails safety in meat hook injury

Add a comment
Affco NZ's plant in Rangiuru, south of Te Puke.
Affco NZ's plant in Rangiuru, south of Te Puke.

An Affco meatworking plant failed to follow its own safety rules in a case which led to a cleaner becoming impaled on a meat hook, a court has found.

Jason Matahiki was working as a night cleaner at Affco NZ's plant at Rangiuru, south of Te Puke, when his head was "penetrated by one of the prongs of a suspended hook".

A judgment — which found Affco guilty of breaching health and safety laws — said the hook went into Mr Matahiki's head "above and behind his left ear, before the point of the hook exited immediately to the left of his left eye".

"Mr Matahiki was carried, suspended on the hook, for a very short distance before his screams alerted a workmate to hit the emergency stop button for the chain."

Judge Peter Rollo was to have sentenced Affco this week but the hearing has now been delayed until April 20. Mr Matahiki, who testified in the case, had no recollection of the accident.

Affco defended the charge under the Health and Safety in Employment Act, saying the accident was Mr Matahiki's fault. Instead, Judge Rollo found: "There were critical company failures."

Judge Rollo said he was satisfied the company took health and safety obligations seriously and worked to avoid harm to staff and others on the plant.

But in this case, he found that Mr Matahiki's head had become caught between the hook and a redundant frame which served no purpose in the area on which he was working, as the scanner previously attached had been removed,

"The prong has pushed his head forward, it seems to me, and the right side of his head must have immediately come into 'crush' contact with the scanner frame."

Judge Rollo said it was not "negligent employee responsibility" but failure by Affco for allowing the chain carrying the hook to be moving through the cleaning process, contrary to its own policies.

While Mr Matahiki told the court he should not have been standing where he was when caught by the hook, there was no company guidance against standing where he was. Evidence from the cleaner's health and safety representative was that it was necessary to stand where Mr Matahiki had been injured to clean the "head-off machine".

Judge Rollo said he was satisfied that logically there was a regular need for a cleaner to access the area.

He said the risk of constantly moving chains carrying the hooks "should have been obvious to Affco at a much earlier stage" and the company was required by law to identify hazards. That onus included identifying that the scanner frame, without the scanner, posed a risk.

New Zealand Meat Workers and Related Trades Union organiser Darien Fenton said she was pleased with the judge's finding over an incident which had been "traumatic" for Mr Matahiki.

Affco spokesman Andy Leonard said it was the first accident on the chain processor after years of operation, and it was "extremely unfortunate and taken seriously by the company".

- Hawkes Bay Today

Get the news delivered straight to your inbox

Receive the day’s news, sport and entertainment in our daily email newsletter

SIGN UP NOW

Have your say

1200 characters left

By and large our readers' comments are respectful and courteous. We're sure you'll fit in well.
View commenting guidelines.

© Copyright 2016, NZME. Publishing Limited

Assembled by: (static) on production bpcf05 at 10 Dec 2016 01:54:57 Processing Time: 333ms