The verdict is in: Ghostbusters is a flop

It's been one of the most controversial films of 2016, and it seems the final verdict is in for the Ghostbusters reboot, thanks to the film's box office data, one month after release.

The news isn't good: The divisive all-female remake is set to post a US$70 million ($NZD97 million) loss, which dashes any hopes of a sequel, says The Hollywood Reporter.

As of August 7, Ghostbusters had earned just under US$180 million (NZ$249 million) at the global box office, including $US117 million in North America. While the film still hasn't opened in a few countries, including France, Japan and Mexico, THR cites box-office experts as saying the film will have trouble getting to $US225 million.

With a cast of female comedians taking on the central roles, the Ghostbusters reboot was controversial from its very announcement.
With a cast of female comedians taking on the central roles, the Ghostbusters reboot was controversial from its very announcement.

The comedy came with a hefty production budget of $US144 million, plus a big marketing spend to combat the negative initial publicity, largely coming from fans of the original film who thought it should've been left alone.

The studio had said a global box office take of US$300 million (NZ$416 million) would be considered a break-even.

When the film opened in mid-July, Sony worldwide distribution head Rory Bruer was already touting a sequel. "While nothing has been officially announced yet, there's no doubt in my mind it will happen," he said.

Since then, any talk of a sequel has gone quiet. THR reports that, while Sony won't comment on whether plans for a sequel have been nixed, a rep says the studio is instead actively pursuing an animated Ghostbusters feature, while could hit cinemas in 2019, with an animated TV series coming around the same time.

With a cast of female comedians taking on the central roles, the Ghostbusters reboot was controversial from its very announcement, with the trailer becoming the most-disliked in YouTube history.

When the film opened in mid-July, Sony worldwide distribution head Rory Bruer was already touting a sequel - not anymore.
When the film opened in mid-July, Sony worldwide distribution head Rory Bruer was already touting a sequel - not anymore.

Star Melissa McCarthy mocked the chorus of disapproval for the reboot, coming from a largely male segment of the audience.

"Terrific fellas!" she said with sarcasm after talk show host Jimmy Kimmel brought up the online outrage.

"What they don't say when they're typing is that one minute after they type their mum is like, 'Get upstairs and take out the garbage! You're 45 years old!'" she joked.

- news.com.au

Get the news delivered straight to your inbox

Receive the day’s news, sport and entertainment in our daily email newsletter

SIGN UP NOW

© Copyright 2017, NZME. Publishing Limited

Assembled by: (static) on production apcf04 at 25 Feb 2017 20:02:13 Processing Time: 990ms