**Warning: Graphic content below**
A producer for Bear Grylls' survival show Man vs Wild has been left with a gruesome injury after being bitten by a poisonous viper while walking in California.
Steve Rankin was bitten by a fer-de-lance snake, which is also known as the "ultimate pit viper".
He said he was climbing over a tree when the snake bit through his boot and into his foot.
His team helped him hobble for two hours before a helicopter could take him to a hospital in San Jose.
Rankin credited them with saving his life.
Man vs Wild star Bear Grylls tweeted a gruesome picture Rankin's foot pre-surgery, showing a large wound and exposed bone.
He said Rankin was "fighting the injury with courage".
Rankin later tweeted an equally horrifying picture of his foot post-surgery, after skin from his leg had been grafted over the wound.
See the pictures below: