The smell of smoke sparked a Fire Service callout at the Holy Trinity Church in Devonport Rd tonight.

A Fire Service spokesman told the Bay of Plenty Times a church employee was putting up a lighting system inside for a function tomorrow when they smelled smoke.

The employee called 111 about 10.05pm, he said.

The spokesman said three fire crews from Greerton, Tauranga and Mount Maunganui stations attended.

Advertisement

"The first fire crew smelt and saw some smoke in the main atrium foyer area on the ground floor and began searching for the source but the smoke then disappeared," he said.

"We have carried out an extensive search going from room to room, but nothing out of the ordinary could be found," the spokesman said.

"We have advised the employee to switch off all halogen lights and to call an electrician tomorrow," he said.