Smoke alarm saves Mount home

Add a comment
A Mount Maunganui home was saved from extensive fire damage by a working smoke alarm. Photo/File
A Mount Maunganui home was saved from extensive fire damage by a working smoke alarm. Photo/File

A Mount Maunganui home was saved from major damage after smoke alarms alerted occupants to a fire in the kitchen.

Tauranga Fire Brigade senior station officer Phil Price said a pot of oil was left on the stove of a Terrace Ave home and a fire started.

The smoke alarm was set off and the fire brigade arrived at the house just before 10pm.

"We had to remove the range hood and ducting, cut away part of the wall and ceiling to check the spread of the fire. The fire had begun to spread to the ceiling.

"The smoke alarm basically saved their property, the fire was just getting going. It saved them for what could have been an extensive fire in the house."

Mr Price said the fire brigade ventilated the house and left after about half an hour.

- Bay of Plenty Times

Get the news delivered straight to your inbox

Receive the day’s news, sport and entertainment in our daily email newsletter

SIGN UP NOW

Have your say

1200 characters left

By and large our readers' comments are respectful and courteous. We're sure you'll fit in well.
View commenting guidelines.

© Copyright 2016, NZME. Publishing Limited

Assembled by: (static) on production bpcf04 at 26 Sep 2016 05:50:20 Processing Time: 540ms