View interactive

Accused Waihi attacker in court

By Sandra Conchie

A 54-year-old man accused of violently attacking and robbing the female owner of a Waihi salon last week after forcing his way into her store will appear in Hamilton District Court today.

Detective Sergeant Jason Perry of the Waihi CIB said the alleged offender, who was arrested overnight has been charged with robbery and kidnapping.

Mr Perry said the victim was locking up her hair salon on Rosemont Rd at 8.45pm on April 22 when the 54-year-old offender forced his way into the store, assaulted her and made off with her handbag.

The courage of the victim and also assistance from the public to help identify the offender played major roles in the offender's arrest, he said.

"The victim's presence of mind in what must have been quite a traumatic situation enabled her to escape her attacker and raise the alarm."

Mr Perry said in such situations police recommend victims remain calm, conform with demands from the offenders while looking for any means or opportunities to raise the alarm that may arise, he said.

"While situations such as Tuesday's are relatively rare it just goes to show the benefits of living in a small community like here in Waihi where locals were quick to show their disgust with what happened, and their willingness to help police hold the offender to account."

- BAY OF PLENTY TIMES

© Copyright 2014, APN New Zealand Limited

Assembled by: (static) on red akl_a5 at 22 Sep 2014 16:57:01 Processing Time: 356ms