A local man received a stern warning from emergency services after his actions caused a potential "gas bomb'' by not securing LPG bottles while driving.
Mount Maunganui fire service were called to Hull Rd in Mount Maunganui just after 10.30am yesterday, after a man smelt gas coming from the back of his ute.
Senior Station Officer Lindsay Nicol said two unrestrained 9L LPG gas bottles had fallen over, causing the valve to open and gas to leak from one of the bottles.
The driver of the car had pulled over to the side of the road . . . smelt gas and opened the back of his ute and seen a gas cloud.
"He was lucky he didn't have a cigarette in his mouth, otherwise it would have gone up instantly.
"He was driving around with a gas bomb on his car. It's extremely lucky nothing sparked, otherwise it would have been a different story,'' Mr Nicol said.
Firefighters used a breathing apparatus and water spray to close the valve of the gas bottle.
Mr Nicol said: "We had a gas detector and there was a definite explosive matter in the well of the vehicle, so we were on full alarm and took full precautions.
"It's fair to say we gave him a lecture about having gas bottles secure.''