Kitchen blast victim improves

By Amy McGillivray

The Papamoa man seriously injured when a chip heater exploded in his kitchen may need to be moved to the burns unit at Waikato Hospital but has managed to stand up for the first time since the blast.

Aaron Seymour, 39, was put in a 48-hour induced coma at Tauranga Hospital after the explosion at the Range Rd home he shares with wife, Trudie, and their two young children on October 18.

The force blew out windows, demolished the oven and caused serious damage to the inside of the house.

Mr Seymour is still in hospital but recovering well with the support of his wife. "I'm spending the days at the hospital then going home to have dinner with the kids then going back to spend the evening at the hospital," Mrs Seymour said.

Her husband had now seen photos of the destroyed kitchen and newspaper clippings reporting on the blast. "He know's how lucky he is," Mrs Seymour said.

"The doctors are really happy with his progress and how everything's going. They're still considering having him go across to Waikato to the burns unit.

"He still doesn't have a lot of movement but they are not worried about long-term damage."

She said her husband managed to stand up on Thursday for the first time since the accident. "Every day an extra tube or an extra something comes off him."

The couple's two children, Heidi, 8, and Angus, 6, have visited their father a couple of times this week.

"It's very emotional for them. Each time it gets easier."

- Bay of Plenty Times

Get the news delivered straight to your inbox

Receive the day’s news, sport and entertainment in our daily email newsletter


© Copyright 2017, NZME. Publishing Limited

Assembled by: (static) on production apcf05 at 25 Apr 2017 10:09:51 Processing Time: 302ms