US condemns Sudanese president's plan to go to UN

WASHINGTON (AP) The State Department says it has received a visa application from the president of Sudan to attend the opening of the U.N. General Assembly, but is condemning the trip because he has been accused of genocide and war crimes.

State Department deputy spokeswoman Marie Harf on Monday confirmed that Omar al-Bashir's visa application to travel to New York had been received.

Harf says that before presenting himself to the U.N. headquarters, Bashir should present himself to the International Criminal Court in The Netherlands to answer for crimes linked to the conflict in the western Darfur region of Sudan, where an estimated 300,000 people have died since 2003 in fighting between the government and rebels.

This story has been automatically published from the Associated Press wire which uses US spellings

Get the news delivered straight to your inbox

Receive the day’s news, sport and entertainment in our daily email newsletter

SIGN UP NOW

© Copyright 2016, NZME. Publishing Limited

Assembled by: (static) on production apcf04 at 01 Jul 2016 19:21:10 Processing Time: 481ms