Rolf Harris rearrested after new sex allegations

Rolf Harris. Photo / File photo
Rolf Harris. Photo / File photo

The UK investigation into Rolf Harris has widened, with police arresting the Australian entertainer for a second time following further allegations of sexual abuse.

Harris, 83, was first arrested in late March by officers from Operation Yewtree, established following the Jimmy Savile scandal.

He was bailed until May and then again until early August "pending further inquiries''.

Now police say new allegations against Harris have come to light.

"He has returned on bail today where he was further arrested on suspicion of sexual offences in connection with further allegations made to Operation Yewtree,'' the Metropolitan Police said in a statement on Monday.

Harris has been bailed yet again and will return to a police station later in August.

His British agent did not return AAP's calls or reply to emails.

The Met stated: "We are not prepared to discuss further nor comment on the identity of who the man arrested may be.''

Although the police have never named Harris - referring to him only as "Yewtree 5'' - he has widely been identified in the mainstream media as the Berkshire man involved.

The artist and singer has lived in the county west of London for more than 50 years.

Millions of young people grew up to the sounds of his inimitable wobble board, didgeridoo and quirky singing style, while his catchphrase "Can you tell what is it yet?''
became synonymous with his sketches that only became clear in the final strokes of his marker pen.

Harris was awarded an MBE in 1968, an OBE in 1977 and a CBE in 2006.

He was made Officer of the Order of Australia in the Queen's Birthday Honours list last year.

He painted a portrait of the Queen in 2005 and performed at her Diamond Jubilee concert in 2012.

But his hit British TV shows Animal Clinic and Olive The Ostrich were pulled from the air in April after top-selling tabloid The Sun named him in relation to Operation Yewtree for the first time.

UK police officers earlier this year travelled to Australia to interview two women about sex abuse allegations.

Harris, first questioned in November 2012, has still not been charged and denies any wrongdoing.

He has made only two public appearances since being arrested - the latest on Sunday night at the Wickham Festival in Hampshire.

The singer-songwriter became emotional when thanking the 2500 fans who turned up and stumbled on his words.

"Just before I go any further I would just like to thank you all for my support ... for your support,'' Harris said on stage.

"I didn't say it very well, but you know what I mean. Thank you for your support, I will always wear it.''

Operation Yewtree was established after a TV documentary aired allegations that former BBC disc jockey Savile, who died in 2011 aged 84, sexually abused countless children.

Police have stressed the allegations against Harris aren't linked to the Savile scandal other than that the Australian "was in the public spotlight at around that time''.

So far 13 people have been arrested under Operation Yewtree. Of those two have been charged.

© Copyright 2014, APN New Zealand Limited

Assembled by: (static) on red akl_n4 at 17 Sep 2014 06:45:04 Processing Time: 420ms