Sprinkler averts fire in factory

By Tessa Johnstone


A fire sprinkler system has saved Premier Beehive's bacon.

A woodchip-filled smoker caught fire in the Carterton bacon factory yesterday, and after the smoker's internal sprinkler system failed the factory sprinkler system kicked in, putting the fire out within minutes.

Operations manager Greg Martin said there were about 10 staff in the factory at the time, none of whom were harmed, and there was no significant damage to the factory. "It was the first test of our sprinkler that we've had for three years. It worked satisfactorily, and shows it's a key requirement to businesses to ensure they continue."

The Carterton Fire Brigade were called to the Moreton Rd factory around 3.30am, but the sprinkler system had already doused the fire.

"We evacuated the building, did a thorough search ... It just shows that sprinkler systems can save lives,"said Carterton fire chief Wayne Robinson.

- WAIRARAPA TIMES-AGE

© Copyright 2014, APN New Zealand Limited

Assembled by: (static) on red akl_a2 at 24 Apr 2014 02:27:28 Processing Time: 600ms