As the festive season winds up, the chic - and wily - among us will be hosting dinner parties, not at home but in one of the many private spaces tucked away in our city's most stylish restaurants.
What's not to love? Beautiful food, great service, an intimate setting where you can be as rowdy as you like and play dinner table party games or musical chairs - without annoying the other diners - and you're not left with the dishes at the end of the night. Heaven. Our favourites around town:
1. Masu. Nic Watt's Japanese robata grill restaurant (pictured) where the food is a work of art and the cocktails sublime.
Ph (09) 363 6278.
2. Ostro. Take over the balcony at the end of Josh Emett's new Britomart restaurant and be seduced by the amazing harbour views.
Ph (09) 280 3789.
3. Clooney. Dark and sophisticated, their subterranean space is perfect for a drinks party and a night of glamour and intrigue.
Ph (09) 358 1702.
4. The Parlour. Downstairs at Cafe Hanoi. Wear your cheongsam and imagine you're in a Southeast Asian speakeasy.
Ph (09) 368 5746.
5. The Grill by Sean Connolly. With its grandiose table seating 20, this is the perfect place to feast on slow-cooked lamb and quaff pinot late into the night.
Ph (09) 363 7067.