A holidaymaker was left in shock after she flew to Turkey with her husband's out-of-date passport before being deported back home.

Marion Lamond, 53, mistakenly picked up husband Derek's passport but managed to pass through two lots of airport security checkpoints before anyone noticed the error.

It was only on arrival at Dalaman airport in Turkey that she realised she had taken her husband's documents - which had expired five years ago.

As she landed in Turkey she was taken aside and separated from her friend for interrogation.


Tearful Marion was escorted onto the first Thomson Holidays flight back to Edinburgh after being berated during questioning.

Her friend had to make her way to their hotel alone with both their suitcases, while Marion was greeted by security on her return home to Scotland.

As soon as she got back to her house in Dunfermline, Fife, she booked a flight back to Dalaman for the following day to try and salvage what remained of her holiday.

Marion admitted to being a bit careless but was left shocked at how she managed to get as far as Turkey before security forces noticed the error.

She said: "He's a male and I am a female - you can tell the difference and plus the fact that his passport was five years out of date.

"How could it happen? Especially with the country being on high alert.

"If they had noticed it at Edinburgh airport, I could have easily phoned my husband to bring my passport. It's only 20 minutes or so away.

"If the Thomson flight had left while I was being interrogated, I would have been put in a cell. I have never been in trouble before and I was lucky they put me back on the plane.

"That's the most frightening thing - I could have been in jail. I know I am a terror but I am not a terrorist."

An Edinburgh Airport spokesman said they did not check passports of passengers departing the country and this was left up to the airlines.

He added: "The only time we would check passports is when people are coming back into the airport."

A Thomson Holidays spokesman said the company had carried out a thorough investigation into the incident.

He said: "We're concerned to hear of Mrs Lamond's experience.

"We have carried out a thorough investigation with the relevant parties at the airport and appropriate measures have been taken to ensure this very rare incident does not happen again.

"We also ask all passengers to ensure they have the relevant, up-to-date documents with them at all times."