A European union that works

My fiancee and I are looking into the possibility of getting married on the Amalfi Coast in Italy, but we're a little confused as to how exactly we should go about it, especially the legalities involved. Could
you recommend any companies that organise weddings in Italy for non
residents, or suggest how best we might go about organising it ourselves?
Darren Young

Tying the knot overseas, especially in a location as romantic as Italy's Amalfi Coast, is becoming increasingly popular with couples.

Stretching about 50km along the southern side of the Sorrentine Peninsula, the Amalfi Coast is one of Europe's most breathtaking regions and amongst Italy's top tourist destinations.

combining both your wedding and your honeymoon in a location halfway around the globe is a potentially stressful undertaking, especially if
you don't speak the local lingo. Your first port of call should be the New Zealand Embassy (www.nzembassy.com) in Italy; the website outlines in detail the documentation and requirements necessary for getting
married in Italy.

The New Zealand Embassy can't make arrangements for you, but it
will issue a document called a Nulla Osta, which is a requirement of the Italian authorities for anyone wishing to get married in Italy.

As you'd need to be fluent in Italian to grasp all the legalities and
procedures, it is recommended that you use an agency.

Agencies specialising in getting married overseas include Italy Weddings
(www.italyweddings.com), Marry Me Abroad (www.marrymeabroad.com) and Just Get Married (www.justgetmarried.com). The New Zealand Embassy website also has links to agencies in Italy.

These agencies will do all the tricky stuff such as booking your ceremony (town hall or church), as well as organising accommodation, flowers, food, hair, makeup, musicians and photographers. Prices vary
according to location.

Africa's wild wonderland
We are a family of four considering a trip to Tanzania. I've heard that the north is where all the real action is and that we'd be better off spending the time we'll have (about 12 days) there, rather than
trying to squeeze in the southern part of the country as well. Would you agree?
Jackie Carter

You've heard right: with snow-capped Mt Kilimanjaro, the wildlife-
packed Ngorongoro Crater and the vast plains of the Serengeti, northern
Tanzania embodies the quintessential African experience.

While the main attractions are trekking to the top of Africa's highest
peak and wildlife watching on the northern safari circuit, there's much more: serene Lake Eyasi; beautiful Mt Meru; the barren landscapes of the Crater Highlands and lively rural markets.

You can stay at delightful highland lodges amid the coffee plantations
around Karatu and take in the Rift Valley vistas around Lake Manyara. Accommodation could be in a world-class safari lodge or a simple mud-thatch house.

Tanzanians, too, offer contrasts, from red-cloaked Maasai warriors to city office workers in Western dress.

Exploring northern Tanzania is relatively easy, which is partly why it's so popular. Tourist infrastructure is good, with many accommodation and
dining options in major towns.

Sure, it's going to be busy, but for the sheer abundance of stunning locations and unforgettable scenery, it's hard to not suggest spending all the time you have on this trip in northern Tanzania in favour of splitting your time between the north and the less touristy south.

As part of your planning, be sure to read the Ministry of Foreign Affairs & Trade's travel advisory for Tanzania at www.safetravel.govt.nz.

Work and play in Ireland
A friend and I would like to travel to Ireland for two to three months,
travelling and working our way around the country. We are both 22, students and have New Zealand passports. What is the work visa situation like over there for New Zealanders?
Sarah Sainsbury

In order to work in Northern Ireland, citizens of Commonwealth
countries aged 17 to 27 must apply for a Working Holiday Entry Certificate. This allows you to spend two years in the UK and
take casual work that is incidental to your holiday.

You need to apply for the certificate before you leave home at the British Consulate in Auckland or the British High Commission in Wellington.

In the Republic of Ireland there is a similar system called the Irish
Working Holiday Authority, which allows citizens of New Zealand, Australia and Canada to work casually so they can take an extended holiday. Again, you must apply for this before you leave home at the Irish Consulate in Auckland. You can download forms at www.foreignaffairs.gov.ie. Also check out Nixers (www.nixers.com) for casual or part-time work.

Lonely Planet experts are available to answer questions from readers.
Email: travel.info@lonelyplanet.com. They may not answer all questions and cannot correspond directly with readers, or give advice outside the column.

- NZ Herald

Get the news delivered straight to your inbox

Receive the day’s news, sport and entertainment in our daily email newsletter


© Copyright 2017, NZME. Publishing Limited

Assembled by: (static) on production apcf05 at 30 May 2017 04:27:35 Processing Time: 2155ms