Plaque helps tell town tale


A plaque now decorates the corner where, more than 130 years ago, a peg was penned into the ground to mark the northern boundary of a new settlement, Eltham.

The plaque, on The Village Gallery building, erected last month by the Eltham Development Group is part of the Eltham Heritage Trail.

Village Gallery co-ordinator Maree Liddington says the project has been a few years in the making. She is elated the peg is now finally marked.

It is the only surviving peg.

The plaque reads: 'Eltham was named after a town in Kent, England, and was first settled in the 1870s. In 1880 a village plan was prepared for the settlement now known as Eltham by surveyor Mr EP Cheal. These proposed plans were accepted, so a block of land bordered by the railway to the west, Conway Road to the south and the northern boundary, a line projecting westward from King Edward Street was marked out.

Four iron-resistant pegs were put in place to indicate the town block. The Mountain Road split the proposed site in two. It was decided the area west of the road would be cleared and settled first'.

Heritage plaques were also erected at the two new heritage mural sites, at Stanners Motors and the Pease building, unveiled at the end of last year. The plaques describe the murals and the historic connection.

- Stratford Press

© Copyright 2014, APN New Zealand Limited

Assembled by: (static) on production apcf02 at 20 Dec 2014 13:50:45 Processing Time: 543ms