The Warriors have fended off approaches from rival clubs and are set to announce the re-signing of rookie wing Ken Maumalo through until the end of 2018.

The club has taken up an option on the 21-year-old for next season and will keep him for a further year after he turned down an offer to join St George Illawarra mid-season.

The new deal follows his stand-out performance on the left wing in Sunday's 12-10 NRL win over the Sydney Roosters, as a replacement for the injured Manu Vatuvei, with Maumalo retaining his spot for Saturday's clash against competition leaders Cronulla.

While pleased to learn his talents were in demand, the self-confessed mummy's boy said he never really entertained the idea of shifting across the Tasman and was reluctant to leave behind his family and the club that gave him his start back in 2013.


"I'm just happy to be staying home," said Maumalo.

"I grew up here playing all my footy and I'm just glad I'm staying.

"I've got all of my family here and I'm a mummy's boy, I don't want to leave home. That was the main thing.

"There were a couple of offers from other clubs but I wasn't bothered about it. I knew my time would come but it was up to me whether I work hard or not.

"I just wanted to work hard for the Warriors because this is my club, this is home for me, and I just want to stay here."

The Papatoetoe junior played eight NRL games last season but was confined to reserve grade as he went about working on making improvements to his defence and his approach to football.

He scored nine tries in 10 matches for the Warriors' Intrust Super Premiership side and last month was rewarded with selection in the NSW Resident's team before scoring a hattrick in their 30-16 win over their Queensland counterparts.

Against the Roosters, he was sinbinned for a professional foul midway through the first half, but finished the night strongly to claim the Warriors Player's Player award. He made a game-high 183 metres from 19 runs, including two in the first set after returning to the field, with the second effort earning his side a pressure-relieving penalty.

"It was probably the best game I've won in first grade," he said.

"The boys were tired and I thought I'd come in and make a couple of runs because I'd had a 10 minute rest that wingers don't usually get.

"I guess it was a relief, getting the penalty. I knew we were under a bit of pressure at that moment."

Coach Andrew McFadden was thrilled with his contribution and maturity and said the side's attack would be relying heavily on his go-forward against the Sharks.

"He was fantastic," said McFadden. "He was certainly very determined and even with the setback of getting sinbinned he didn't lose focus, he came back out and added more impact, so that was a big step for him.

"Those carries, particularly out of our end, they get us on the front foot. And when we're on the front foot it's difficult to contain us so we're going to need that again."