NRL: Sea Eagles notch comeback win over Eels

Steve Matai of the Sea Eagles celebrates scoring a try. Photo / Getty Images
Steve Matai of the Sea Eagles celebrates scoring a try. Photo / Getty Images

Manly 26 Parramatta 20

Manly centre Steve Matai scavenged two crucial second half tries from Parramatta blunders as the Sea Eagles came from behind to notch a 26-20 victory in Saturday night's NRL clash at Parramatta Stadium.

Matai picked up a wayward Jarryd Hayne pass from dummy half four minutes after halftime before capitalising on an embarrassing Chris Hicks fumble six minutes later as the Eels blew a 14-6 lead after dominating the first 40 minutes.

Parramatta had looked like putting the memory of last week's 56-6 humiliation at the hands of South Sydney behind them against their bitter rivals but imploded before a late rally in front of 11,102 fans.

The humiliation had been all Matai's when he threw a shocker from dummy half in the first half to gift Hicks the first try of the match.

But, in a bizarre reversal, Hayne did the same two metres from his own line for Matai to pick up the scraps and score, the conversion making it 14-12.

When Hicks fumbled a cruel bounce in the 50th minute from a long Kieran Foran Kick, Matai was there again to turn the match as Manly took an 18-14 lead.

The Eels managed a late Justin Horo try to give them some hope of a golden point game and a Hayne bomb was only just defused by the Sea eagles in the final seconds.

In a blow to a Manly side getting used to the absence of co-captain Jason King with the season-ending pectoral tear suffered last weekend, NSW State of Origin representative William Hopoate failed to finish the game with a knee injury.

The Sea Eagles, who have tough games against Melbourne and Brisbane still to come, firmed up second spot with the win, while the Eels remain in the battle for the wooden spoon after a fifth straight loss.

As well as Matai, Daly Cherry-Evans and Brett Stewart scored tries for Manly with Jamie Lyon booting five from five in coach Des Hasler's 200th game at the helm.

For the hapless Eels, Hicks, Ryan Morgan and Horo bagged four-pointers, while Luke Burt kicked four from five.

Parramatta led 10-0 after 18 minutes through two Burt penalty goals and Hicks' try before Cherry-Evans started and finished a 23rd minute Manly try.

Quick hands put Morgan over in the 32nd minute to make it 14-6 in favour of the home side.

MANLY 26 (S Matai 2 D Cherry-Evans B Stewart tries J Lyon 5 goals) bt PARRAMATTA 20 (C Hicks J Horo R Morgan tries L Burt 4 goals) at Parramatta Stadium. Referee: Tony Archer, Chris James. Crowd: 11,102.


Get the news delivered straight to your inbox

Receive the day’s news, sport and entertainment in our daily email newsletter


© Copyright 2017, NZME. Publishing Limited

Assembled by: (static) on production apcf05 at 30 Mar 2017 18:47:08 Processing Time: 607ms