League: Sonny Bill caught with his pants down

SYDNEY - The off-field reputation of National Rugby League club the Bulldogs took another battering today with New Zealand internationals Ben Roberts and Sonny Bill Williams both caught up in police matters for illegal behaviour.

Halfback Roberts was on Sunday charged with several traffic offences including driving under the influence while it was revealed Williams had been caught urinating in public last weekend when the Dogs were given time off for the bye.

Williams was busted by police relieving himself outside of a nightclub in Cronulla and was handed an infringement notice and fine worth A$650 ($732).

It is his second public incident this season after an alleged dalliance with ironwoman Candice Falzon, known as the "Dunny Bill Williams incident", was caught on camera phone in a toilet cubicle at the Clovelly Hotel despite the player having a long term girlfriend.

His 21-year-old teammate Roberts, who had also been romantically linked to Falzon, continued the bad run of player behaviour on Sunday when police pulled him over for a random breath test at 9.45am on Bellingara Road in Miranda, in Sydney's south.

Roberts blew 0.03 which is above the zero tolerance level for probationary licensed drivers.

He was taken to Miranda police station where he was charged with low-range prescribed concentration of alcohol, driving an unregistered vehicle, driving an uninsured vehicle, and not displaying his p-plates.

He will appear in Sutherland Local Court on July 12.

A Bulldogs spokesman confirmed Roberts had been caught by police and said "the club is still gathering all the information" before they would make an official statement.

Roberts called coach Steve Folkes immediately after the incident occurred to inform the club what had happened.

It is understood Roberts had been out the night before and thought he had slept it off before getting in the car, which belongs to a friend, this morning.

Bulldogs officials would not discuss what sort of penalty Roberts faces for his behaviour, but he could expect heavy ramifications from the club after he and Willie Tonga were this week dropped to premier league for breaking team curfew on a recent away trip to Auckland.

The pair arrived less than half an hour late from the team imposed 1am curfew after the Dogs win over New Zealand Warriors and coach Folkes punished them with demotion.

Despite the punishment, Roberts signed a new two-year deal to stay at the club this week.

"I'm very grateful for the opportunities that (Bulldogs coach) Steve Folkes has given me in my time here and I look forward to learning more from the coaches and the senior players," Roberts said at the time of signing.

"The spirit and unity that exists across the Bulldogs club makes it a great place to be a part of."


Get the news delivered straight to your inbox

Receive the day’s news, sport and entertainment in our daily email newsletter

Stats provided by

© Copyright 2017, NZME. Publishing Limited

Assembled by: (static) on production bpcf03 at 29 Apr 2017 18:09:58 Processing Time: 28ms