Company's power push less than mighty
Powerless consumer John writes: "Last October-November, Mighty River cold-called my 85-year-old widowed mother and offered to significantly improve on her power bill over what she was paying to Genesis. Being a frugal person, she agreed. What she didn't understand was there was no commitment being made to maintain the difference in cost. So for a few months, when her power usage is lowest, she was slightly better off. But on April 1, Mighty River increased its charges, significantly. The Daily Fixed Charge, went from 92.15c to 122.01c a day per unit. Genesis advised it is still at 95c a day per unit for the equivalent rate. When asked for an explanation, Mighty River stated it did not know what Genesis charges. Really? Then it stated the original offer was only a transitional offer, what it makes to persuade you to "transition" to it. The fine print, it explained further, included the warning it reserved the right to increase its charges. Within less than six months? After several calls it made a generous offer. My mother would get an immediate $150 credit on her account, provided she stayed a MRP customer for a minimum of 18 months. Yeah right!"
Chad picks state's detritus from watery grave
Chad Pregracke, 38, a Mississippi River legend, spends nine months a year hauling heavy-duty rubbish out of waterways with his crew of 12. He told CNN in March that he has pulled up 218 washing machines, 19 tractors, four pianos and nearly 1000 refrigerators - totalling over 3500 tons of rubbish - and has collected the world's largest array of bottles with messages inside. (Source: News of the Weird.com)
1. I hope Labour and the Greens don't drag us back to the dark days of full employment. Who will clean my windscreen at traffic lights? @AliIkram
2. So, if you have a student loan, are living o/s, haven't made payments, and your dad in NZ dies, you'll be arrested if U attend the funeral. @caffeineaddict
3. Opinion. (mine) Fancy marriage proposals (man to woman) only confirm sexist myths that women need rescuing. Related, I should stop reading FB @kittengloves
4. Dom called the four judges "music moguls". A *slight* exaggeration there. @robyngallagher
Local: All of the New Zealand Tourism posters, as seen on Murray's office wall in Flight of the Conchords. "New Zealand - Scotland only further"...
Picture this: Roth's Car Restoration ...
Movie: The sequel to the 2004 Will Ferrell comedy Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy has finally been made. Here's the trailer.
Video: Jack Black does the weather on Breakfast...
* Got a Sideswipe? Send your pictures, links and anecdotes to Ana here.