• 500mls of fish stock
• 400gm tin of tomatoes, chopped in juice
• A pinch of saffron threads, soaked in a tablespoon of hot water for 30 mins
• Zest of half an orange
• 1 small bay leaf
• 500 gms hapuka steak, monkfish or tuna, cut into 3cm dice
• 16 prawn cutlets, tails on
• 100gms of fresh salmon
• 50gms of squid, cut into rings
• 8 mussels, in their shell
• Flat parsley leaves
• Fennel frond to garnish
1. In a large saucepan combine the fish stock, tomatoes and juice, saffron and the water it soaked in, orange zest and bay leaf. Simmer for 15 minutes. Taste and season with black pepper and salt if needed.
2. Bring the soup base back up to a good heat, just below boiling. Add the mussels and then the other fish ingredients. The mussels will open (discard any which do not open); cook until the other fishy bits have poached in the hot liquid.
3. Ladle into soup bowls , dividing up the ingredients so each bowl gets some of everything.
Garnish with some sprigs of parsley and fennel.