This would also work with plums.
• 4kg of apricots
• 2 litres of vinegar (1 litre of white wine vinegar and 1 litre of malt works well)
• 3 cups of brown sugar
• 10 whole cloves
• 1 teaspoon of fresh grated nutmeg
• 2 sticks of cinnamon
• 2 teaspoons of 5-spice
• 2 teaspoons of salt
• 2 tablespoons of peeled, grated fresh ginger
• 2 tablespoons of grated fresh horseradish if you have it
1. Chop and stone the apricots. Place in a large
pot with a little water and cook gently until
2. Add all the other ingredients and cook down slowly, on the lowest heat possible. Stir to stop the ketchup catching. Skim any debris that forms on the top as you go. Watch carefully, the thickening ketchup can become a bit eruptive and may need to be partly covered.
3. When you reach a sauce- like consistency, cool the mixture, check the seasoning and pour into sterilised bottles. Seal up and store in a cool dark place.
Once opened, keep in the fridge.