Smouldering placemat forces evacuation of rest home block in Wellington

Around 20 residents were evacuated. Photo / File
Around 20 residents were evacuated. Photo / File

Elderly residents of a Wellington retirement home were pulled out of bed last night after a stove element was left on, setting off smoke alarms.

Around 20 residents were evacuated from a block of the Malvina Major Retirement Village in Johnsonville at around 9.30pm, corporate affairs manager David King said.

"We found the source of the problem, which was a placemat left on an element. Everyone's fine but they've had a bit of a fright. But everyone is back in their rooms and the nurses have checked them - they're all fine."

- NZ Herald

Get the news delivered straight to your inbox

Receive the day’s news, sport and entertainment in our daily email newsletter

SIGN UP NOW

© Copyright 2017, NZME. Publishing Limited

Assembled by: (static) on production apcf04 at 26 May 2017 07:45:56 Processing Time: 299ms