Move over stormy weather, a sunny weekend is in store for most of the country.
The North Island will have mostly fine weather, with highs in the mid- to late-20s for some spots.
For Aucklanders, Anniversary Day on Monday is expected to be fine with light winds, but no rain.
That's good news for the many events on in the city this weekend, including the Laneway Festival and the Buskers Festival in the CBD, Chinese New Year celebrations, and the Black Caps v Australia in the cricket at Eden Park on Monday.
"Saturday should be good for most areas, with Fiordland the only place that's likely to get rain," MetService meteorologist Kyle Lee said.
"Sunday should be pretty good too. Most of the North Island will be good, with just the Tararua Ranges and eastern Bay of Plenty expected to get some rain."
Another front is expected over the South Island, bringing showers to Southland, Westland and Nelson/Buller on Sunday. Canterbury should escape the rain, but it will be overcast.
Monday should be mostly warm and dry, though the Wellington and Wairarapa regions could get rain early in the day.
The east coast of the North Island could also get a couple of afternoon or evening showers.
WeatherWatch is likewise predicting a sunny weekend with fine weather across the North Island.
"High pressure is returning to many parts of the country this week and that brings with it lighter winds, sunnier skies and hotter afternoons," said head weather forecaster Philip Duncan.
"Eastern and northern parts of both islands will be most exposed to the more summer-like weather with plenty of dry days ahead and highs climbing into the mid- to late-20s even low- to mid-30s for some in the east."
Over the next fortnight, upper and eastern parts of the North Island would be noticeably calmer and drier, he said.
The outlook is a vast improvement on last weekend when a wild storm lifted roofs, toppled trees and left 15,000 Auckland homes without power.
The less-than-summery conditions prompted calls to move the official summer months.
Now, United Future leader Peter Dunne has created an online petition to gauge public interest in later holidays, which he intended to present to Parliament.
A move would not require a law change, but the Government would need to work with schools, businesses and public sector agencies before any change.
The petition had more than 1000 supporters last night.
What's on over Anniversary Weekend
• Auckland Anniversary Regatta Amada Cruise 2017. Jan 30, Dock 3, Eastern Viaduct
• Wellington Sevens, Westpac Stadium, Wellington, Jan 28-Jan 29
• Auckland International Buskers Festival. Jan 27-Jan 30, Viaduct Harbour
• St Jerome's Laneway Festival. Jan 30, Albert Park
• Ports of Auckland SeePort Festival. Jan 29-Jan 30, Captain Cook Wharf
• The Extravaganza (Gypsy). Jan 28-Jan 30, Craigavon Park, Green Bay
• Black Caps v Australia, Eden Park, Jan 30. 11am
• Tamaki Herenga Waka Festival, Jan 28-Jan 30, ANZ Viaduct Events Centre
Auckland Folk Festival, Kumeu Showgrounds, Kumeu, Jan 27-Jan 19, 9am
• Brazilian Day Festival, Rocket Park, 773 New North Rd, Mt Albert, Jan 28, 10am
• NZ Bloodstock Karaka Million, Ellerslie Racecourse, 80 Ascot Ave, Remuera, Jan 29, 3pm
• Chinese New Year celebrations
- Family celebration, Northcote Shopping Centre, Lake Rd, Northcote, Jan 28, 11am
- 2017 Whau Chinese New Year Festival, New Lynn Community Centre, 45 Totara Ave, Jan 29, noon-10pm
Anniversary Weekend forecast
Saturday: Morning cloud, otherwise fine. Afternoon sea breezes. High 26C.
Sunday: Fine. Light winds and afternoon sea breezes. High 26C.
Monday: Fine. Light winds and afternoon sea breezes. High 26C.
Saturday: Morning cloud, otherwise fine. Afternoon sea breezes. High 23C.
Sunday: Fine Light winds and afternoon sea breezes. High 23C.
Monday: Fine Light winds and afternoon sea breezes. High 24C.
Saturday: Fine. Light winds, sea breezes. High 27C.
Sunday: Morning cloud, otherwise fine. Light winds and sea breezes. High 26C.
Monday: Mainly fine. Light winds and sea breezes. High 28C.
Saturday: Morning cloud then fine. Light winds. High 26C.
Sunday: Fine, morning and evening cloud. Westerly breezes. High 25C.
Monday: Morning cloud then fine. Light winds. High 26C.
Saturday: Morning cloud, otherwise fine. Light winds then northerlies. High 20C.
Sunday: Often cloudy. Chance late shower. Strong northwest. High 19C.
Monday: Morning cloud then fine. Light southerly, late northerlies. High 20C.
- Source: MetService