Four inmates from New Zealand's toughest prison have been charged after a brutal attack on six prison guards last month.
On October 21 the Herald revealed that six guards were injured in an attack at Auckland Prison at Paremoremo, with three suffering stab wounds to their heads, necks, hands and shoulders after they were set upon by prisoners.
The attack is believed to have been premeditated and kicked off after inmates were handed cleaning equipment.
Three guards sustained stab wounds and three others had minor injuries - only one required hospital treatment.
Police have today confirmed that four inmates have been charged with a total of 14 alleged offences.
A 32-year-old inmate faces three charges of injures with intent to injure and one of assault with intent to injure.
A 26-year-old has been charged with two counts of wounding with intent to cause grievous bodily harm and two of assault with intent to injure.
A 24-year-old faces two charges of assault with intent to injure and one of injures with intent to cause grievous bodily harm.
And a 22-year-old prisoner is facing one charge of wounding with intent to cause grievous bodily harm and two of assault with intent to injure.
A police spokeswoman said the men would appear in the North Shore District Court on Monday.
It is expected that they will appear by video link from a room at the prison.
Police could not comment further as the matter is now before the courts.
The guards were injured when they were allegeldy set upon by a group of inmates in C Block at Auckland Prison just before 2pm on Wednesday, October 19.
The Herald understands that the attack happened when five of the six inmates unlocked at the time were being handed cleaning equipment by the guards.
In C Block each landing has 12 cells but only half of the inmates are unlocked at a time for safety reasons.
The guards were passing them mops and buckets to clean their cells when the attack kicked off.
Corrections initially said only three guards were injured.