A woman suffered spinal injuries when she was thrown off a sea biscuit at the weekend.

The Auckland Westpac Rescue Helicopter crew were sent out to Colville on Sunday to attend to the incidents - one of 19 callouts over the long weekend, a spokeswoman said.

"She had been ejected from the biscuit whilst it was turning at a high speed," the spokeswoman said.

"She managed to remove herself from the water, but then developed pain and numbness."


The woman, in her 20s, was flown with her mother to Middlemore Hospital in a moderate condition.

In other callouts at the weekend, the chopper crew were called to Raglan about 6.45pm on Sunday to help after a surfer rescued a 9-year-old girl who was dragged out to sea.

"The patient, a 9-year-old female, had been swimming when she was hit by a large wave and dragged out," the spokeswoman said.

Local lifeguard Josh Coombridge said the first the surf lifesaving club members were aware of the incident was when a surfer came knocking on the club doors.

"[He] said that he had pulled a girl out of the water and that she wouldn't be able to make it up the hill herself," Coombridge said.

The team brought the girl up the hill on their lifeguard vehicle, and she was given medical attention while waiting for the rescue helicopter to arrive.

The girl and a relative were flown to Waikato Base Hospital. She had minor injuries.

Another callout involved the rescue chopper going to Whitianga on Friday evening to attend to a scuba diver who was possibly suffering from the bends.

The man, in his 40s, had made two scuba dives at 10am and 1pm to depths of 17m.

"Then he was free driving for about an hour," the spokeswoman said.

"After that he began to feel dizzy and sick."

When the crew reached the man, he was in a serious condition. He and his wife were flown to hospital.

Saturday also brought a handful of callouts, including one to the Karangahake Gorge where a woman in her 50s had injured herself in a race.

The spokeswoman said the woman slid down a steep 5m bank during the 13km race, but Xterra Trail Challenge Waihi organisers said the woman did not fall down any bank, but simply rolled her ankle.

The woman suffered arm and leg fractures and was flown to Waikato Hospital.

The rescue chopper crew attended a number of other callouts over Friday to Monday, including a couple of motor vehicle accidents and a large number of medical events.