Cromwell man in hospital after fire

A St John spokesman said one man was transported to Dunstan Hospital emergency department with moderate injuries. Photo / File
A St John spokesman said one man was transported to Dunstan Hospital emergency department with moderate injuries. Photo / File

A man received moderate burns after a pot of oil overheated causing a fire in a Cromwell Indian restaurant.

Cromwell chief fire officer Steve Shaw said it was called to the fire at India Garden in the The Mall about 4.30pm today.

One man received burns to his arms or hands after attempting to either move or put out the overheated pot of oil, Mr Shaw said.

"He'd be pretty sore," he said.

Firefighters quickly had the blaze under control, but not before it caused fire damage to the ventilation system in the kitchen, a small amount of structural damage, and smoke damage elsewhere in the building.

A St John spokesman said one man was transported to Dunstan Hospital emergency department with moderate injuries.

- Otago Daily Times

Get the news delivered straight to your inbox

Receive the day’s news, sport and entertainment in our daily email newsletter

SIGN UP NOW

© Copyright 2017, NZME. Publishing Limited

Assembled by: (static) on production bpcf03 at 24 Apr 2017 03:23:26 Processing Time: 568ms