The family of a 5-year-old Te Kuiti boy who suffered serious burns to his body after the T-shirt he was wearing caught fire have set up a Givealittle page to raise money for his treatment and recovery.

Hamiora Reihana suffered burns to 35 per cent of his body after poking his T-shirt into a gas heater to see if it would melt.

He is now recovering at Middlemore Hospital.

Hamiora's father said his son is a fighter and the priority now is to get him better "real quick".

Advertisement

Hamiora's aunt, Sarah Thompson, set up the page.

It says: "The reason we are doing this Givealittle page is because his father is a solo dad. Hamiora also has 2 sisters who are now with other family members due to this tragic accident. Hamiora's journey to recovery will be longer than 3 months and may cause a financial burden to the family that we are reaching out for help [sic]."

The page has raised just over $1285 in one day thanks to 41 generous donors.

You can find the page at: https://givealittle.co.nz/cause/helpforhamiora