Gas leak leaves thousands or Wellington residents without power

By Solbin Kang

Emergency services attended the scene after a gas main ruptured. Power to the area was turned off for safety reasons. Photo / File
Emergency services attended the scene after a gas main ruptured. Power to the area was turned off for safety reasons. Photo / File

A gas main ruptured in a Wellington suburb leaving 1380 residents without power.

Emergency services were called shortly before 4pm today to the intersection of Burgess Rd and Chesterton St in Johnsonville, where six houses were evacuated due to the dangerous leak.

A fire service spokesman said evacuation was a priority as gas had "leaked and slotted into several houses in the area".

Power was turned off for safety reasons.

Cordons that were in place at the intersection of Burgess Rd and Chesterton St have now been lifted, police confirmed.

- NZ Herald

Get the news delivered straight to your inbox

Receive the day’s news, sport and entertainment in our daily email newsletter

SIGN UP NOW

© Copyright 2017, NZME. Publishing Limited

Assembled by: (static) on production bpcf04 at 27 Feb 2017 18:02:43 Processing Time: 363ms