Rural firefighters are called to the aid of a man with a nearly severed finger, and leaders of a squash club a "devastated" after a clubroom fire has forced them to shut the season down. These are just two of the stories making headlines around the regions today.

Members of a rural fire brigade had to quickly put theory into practice on Saturday, when they were called to the aid of a man with a nearly severed finger on a remote farm.

The leaders of a 125-member squash club are "devastated" after a fire destroyed their clubroom, forcing them to close for the season and causing hundreds of thousands of dollars of damage.

A person has suffered minor injuries after an overheated lithium ion battery caused a fire in a Tauranga home on Saturday.


Hundreds of budding Maori entrepreneurs have been inspired to be bolder as some of the country's most successful Maori shared their successes and failures.

Whanganui's Labour Party branch wants Housing New Zealand to go back to providing housing services for people in need, its chairman and deputy chairman say.

A loud bang on Kokotau Rd outside Parkvale Mushrooms on Sunday morning signalled the start of an hour-long and careful extrication of a trapped motorist following a two-car collision.