Children treated for smoke inhalation after house fire

The fire was out by the time crews arrived but the house was full of smoke. Photo / File
The fire was out by the time crews arrived but the house was full of smoke. Photo / File

Two children have been treated for smoke inhalation following a house fire near Rotorua this morning.

Fire communications shift manager Jaron Phillips said fire crews were called to a fire that broke out in the kitchen of a home on Ngongotaha Rd shortly after 6.30am this morning.

There were three adults and six children in the house at the time.

"The fire was out when we arrived, but the house was full of smoke."

St John ambulance officers also attending treated two children for smoke inhalation, he said.

Earlier in the morning, fire crews were called to a house fire in Waitotara, 33km south of Wanganui, shortly before 2.30am.

A Fire Service spokesperson said the house was well alight when firefighters arrived.

It wasn't immediately clear if anyone was home when the fire broke out.

Fire crews were dampening down hot spots this morning and a fire investigator was expected at the scene today.

- NZ Herald

Get the news delivered straight to your inbox

Receive the day’s news, sport and entertainment in our daily email newsletter

SIGN UP NOW

© Copyright 2017, NZME. Publishing Limited

Assembled by: (static) on production bpcf04 at 27 May 2017 09:50:10 Processing Time: 483ms