Brazier fire burns man

By -
Add a comment

A man who was seriously injured after he poured petrol on a brazier and set it alight is being treated at the National Burn Centre.

The Helensville man in his 40s was flown to Middlemore Hospital in a serious condition with burns to his face, arms, chest, hands and throat.

A hospital spokeswoman said he remained in a stable condition at the centre this afternoon.

A Westpac Rescue Helicopter spokesman said the man had lit a fire in a brazier which had been dug into the ground in a garden. He had filled it with timber and other fuels before adding petrol and lighting the fire.

The spokesman said he believed the flames exploded, and said the man's hands, arms, face and chest were burned.

He also received light burns to the back of his throat.

For more articles from this region, go to

Get the news delivered straight to your inbox

Receive the day’s news, sport and entertainment in our daily email newsletter

SIGN UP NOW

Have your say

1200 characters left

By and large our readers' comments are respectful and courteous. We're sure you'll fit in well.
View commenting guidelines.

© Copyright 2016, NZME. Publishing Limited

Assembled by: (static) on production bpcf03 at 04 Dec 2016 01:01:03 Processing Time: 425ms