Three people have been taken to hospital with smoke inhalation injuries and possible burns after a large fire at a house in Avonhead, Christchurch this morning.

Southern Fire Communications shift manager Riwai Grace said multiple calls were received at 7.44am.

"Persons reported someone stuck in the house. Two trucks initially responded."

All residents were soon accounted for and fire crew had wound down by 8.30am.

Ambulance relief team manager John Sneesby said one patient's injuries were moderate and the other two minor.