Man due in court after double stabbing

By Brendan Manning

Photo / File
Photo / File

An 18-year-old man was due to appear in Hamilton District Court this morning following the stabbing of two teenagers in Hamilton yesterday morning.

His court appearance follows an incident in Fairfield's Marshall St early Sunday morning where two males, aged 16- and 18-years-old, left a party and were walking down an alleyway, Hamilton acting crime manager Detective Senior Sergeant Nigel Keall said.

"They were confronted by an 18-year-old offender in the alleyway and the 18-year-old victim suffered defensive wounds to one of his hands while the 16-year-old suffered a serious stab wound to his chest."

Sporadic disorder had been reported in the area in the hours prior to the attack, and a knife believed to have been used in the incident had been recovered, but police were not ruling out the possibility of other weapons being involved.

"The 18-year-old man arrested in relation to the attack will appear in the Hamilton District Court today on two charges of wounding with intent to cause grievous bodily harm," Mr Keall said.

"As we work to establish exactly what has happened, Police need to speak to anyone who may have seen or heard what occurred who hasn't already spoken to our investigation team."

Anyone with any information is asked to contact Detective Sergeant Simon Cherry of the Hamilton CIB on (07) 858 6200.

- APNZ

© Copyright 2014, APN New Zealand Limited

Assembled by: (static) on red akl_a4 at 20 Sep 2014 01:20:11 Processing Time: 1011ms