The owner of a horse that lost litres of blood - and almost its life - after being frightened by the neighbours' fireworks is calling on people to think about pets as they celebrate Guy Fawkes tonight.
Auckland woman Leanne Waite says it will take weeks for her 2-year-old pony, Eros, to fully recover physically and emotionally.
The Kaimanawa pony was in its paddock - at the family's Helensville lifestyle block - on Saturday night after being gelded the day before.
Ms Waite said they had been trying to calm him and begin the healing process. But it all turned nasty when fireworks started popping from the neighbours' property.
It was too dark to see Eros, but Ms Waite could hear the frightened horse running around frantically. She said it was too dangerous to go into his paddock.
When the fireworks finally stopped, Ms Waite checked on the pony.
"I shone the torch on his back legs and, sure enough, he was just covered in blood. ... it sounded like he was urinating. You could just hear [the blood] hitting the ground."
It took two hours to control the bleeding, with the help of a friend who is a vet nurse.