The Fire Service reported a relatively quiet night after the first day of fireworks going on sale, but say some fires were started because not enough care was being taken with the colourful explosives.
South Island fire crews attended nine small fires overnight caused by people not properly using the fireworks, southern fire communications shift manager Daryl Ball said.
"Not saying they are being used in a dangerous fashion, but some had fallen over and fired off sideways and not straight up in the air."
In general, the service was "pretty happy" with people's behaviour around fireworks, he said.
"But maybe a little more due diligence required - if it carries on the way it is then we should be in for a good Guy Fawkes period."
The four-day period for fireworks to be sold began yesterday.
By the numbers:
* Last year ACC recorded 445 claims nationwide - of which about 285 were for burns.
* About 213 claims were for injuries that happened between November 2 and 5, when fireworks were on sale.
* The total national cost to date of firework-related claims received in 2012 was about $191,785.